Organic alfalfa seeds
POWDER Nothing But Plants®
Source of fibre and protein
Cardiovascular, Energy, Sexuality (women's sexuality).
Buy Organic alfalfa seeds
Alfalfa seeds 150 g
Ref. GF20 | In Stock
Made in France
Organic alfalfa seeds: Description
Discover the exceptional properties of SUPERFOODS with the new powder range from our new brand POWDER Nothing But Plants® range!
This product range offers an innovative concept: an alternative way of consuming dietary supplements and healthier foods – in milkshakes, salads or mixed with your favourite foods.
Germinated seeds are an important source of vitamins, minerals and antioxidant compounds such as phenolic acids and flavonoids. Alfalfa seeds (Medicago sativa L.) are also very rich in proteins, fibre and amino acids.
Try our organic alfafa seeds, rich in fibre (35%) and proteins (36%) that contribute to their important biological value!
POWDER’s organically grown alfafa seeds are the perfect ingredient to add to your salads, sandwiches or soups.
Alfafa (Medicago sativa L., Fabaceae family) is a fodder plant endemic to south-central Asia and the Mediterranean basin, and northern Eurasia (1). It is believed that it first began to be used in Iran as a food for horses, and came to Greece in the 5th Century from Persia. It is currently grown in all temperate regions of the planet (2).
COMPOSITION AND BENEFITS
When germinating, the phytochemical compound content of seeds increases in several plants such as cereals, legumes etc. This has led to consumption of germinated seeds as a healthy food becoming increasingly popular in Western countries (3).
Alfafa is rich in group B, C, D, E and K vitamins and carotenes; minerals such as iron and calcium; and bioactive compounds such as phytosterols and saponins. It has traditionally been used as a relief during recovery and for anaemia due to vitamin or mineral deficiencies (4). It is also an important source of isoflavones, molecules with oestrogenic activity (5).
Alfafa also has high protein content and is an important source of amino acids such as arginine and histidine (6).
Main indications for alfafa:
- Vitamin and mineral supplement in case of psychophysical exhaustation, exhaustation of sportsmen, in convalescence (7).
- Improves the metabolism (7).
- Helps to control cholesterol (8).
- Helps womens to maintain good sexual relations (9).
- Berdonces (2009) Gran diccionario ilustrado de las Plantas Medicinales descripción y aplicaciones. Oceano Ambar.
- Mattioli et al. (2016) Alfalfa and flax sprouts supplementation enriches the content of bioactive compounds and lowers the cholesterol in hen egg. J Funct Foods 22: 454-462.
- Vanaclocha B, Cañigueral S (Eds). Fitoterapia. Vademécum de prescripción. 4ª Edición. Barcelona: Elsevier Masson, 2003.
- Dietz et al. (2016) Botanicals and their bioactive phytochemicals for women’s health. Pharmacol Rev 68(4): 1026–1073.
- Amraie et al. (2015) The effects of aqueous extract of alfalfa on blood glucose and lipids in alloxan-induced diabetic rats. Interv Med Appl Sci. 2015 Sep; 7(3): 124–128.
- EFSA Journal 2010;8(10):1738.
- EFSA Journal 2011;9(4):2082.
- Extracted from the European Comission compilation list, under EFSA validation (ID ID4439).
Organic alfalfa seeds: Composition
Organic alfalfa seeds to germinate (gluten) (Medicago sativa L.).
Contains gluten. Does not contain GMOs.
FABRICATION AND GUARANTEE:
This food is manufactured under a GMP-compliant. GMPs are the good manufacturing practice guidelines for the European food industry.
Organic alfalfa seeds: Nutritional information
Organic alfalfa seeds: Use
To germinate: Soak the seeds for 8-10 hours. Rinse and place in a germinator. Germinate for 4-6 days, following the germinator instructions. The sprouting seeds can be consumed immediately or kept in the refrigerator. Wash before eating.
Store in a cool dry place away from sunlight.