Organic maca powder
Aphrodisiac and fertility enhancer
POWDER Nothing But Plants®
Description: Organic maca powder
Discover the exceptional properties of SUPERFOODS with the new powder range from our new brand POWDER Nothing But Plants® range!
This product range offers an innovative concept: an alternative way of consuming dietary supplements and healthier foods – in milkshakes, salads or mixed with your favourite foods.
Maca (Lepidium meyenii Walp.) is a plant that has been grown in the Andes for over 2,000 years. A plant with a thousand-year-old tradition, the Incas used maca tuber as an aphrodisiac and fertility enhancer.
Known as Peruvian ginseng, maca has high nutritional and medicinal value. It is an excellent revitaliser that contains a large quantity of macro and micro nutrients. It has also been used to enhance sexual performance and relieve symptoms of menopause.
Our organic EL DORADO maca comes from Peru, complies with the microbiological criteria required by European Pharmacopoeia and has been subject to stringent quality control to certify that it is free from heavy metals.
Maca (Lepidium meyenii Walp., Brassicaceae family) is a herbaceous plant native to the central Andes of Peru and is grown in regions with altitudes of between 4000 and 4500 m, in extreme environmental conditions. Its flowers are white and it has a tuberous root that can have a diameter of 6.5 cm and can be black, red, yellow or white (1).
Maca has been grown in the Andes for over 2,000 years and was highly valued by the Incas, due to it nutritional and medicinal properties (1). The first descriptions of this plant appear in the chronicles of the conquest of Peru, where it was reported that the natives used certain roots for sustenance (2). In the 17th Century, the Spanish Jesuit Bernabé Cobo, in his book "History of the New World", describes maca and its cultivation area. In his works, he also writes of its nutritional properties and its ability to improve fertility (3).
The edible part of maca is its tuberous root and it has a high concentration of nutrients: it is a plant rich in protein (8-11% dry weight) and contains 18 amino acids, of which 7 are essential amino acids found in concentrations similar to those present in cow's milk, fish and egg. It is also rich in potassium, calcium and iron (1.).
Its secondary metabolites with biological activity include macaenes and macamides (polyunsaturated fatty acids and their amides), alkaloids (macaridine and lepidiline A and B), glucosinolates, polyphenols and sterols (campesterol, beta-sitosterol and stigmasterol) (2).
- OUR PRODUCT
- Product name: Maca powder (from organic farming).
- Scientific name: Lepidium meyenii Walp.
- Part used: Tuber.
Maca has great potential as an adaptogenic plant and is a source of energy and vitality, due to its high concentration of vitamins (vitamin B1, vitamin B12, vitamin C, vitamin E, vitamin K), minerals, carbohydrates and proteins. In traditional Peruvian medicine, it is recommended as treatment for the symptoms of menopause, impotence and sexual dysfunction (1). Other traditional uses of maca include as an immunostimulant, for anaemia, menstrual disorders, improving memory and chronic fatigue syndrome (4).
Mix 5 g of maca powder with water, juice, shakes or milk. Maca powder can also be sprinkled on meals and salads.
Several studies have shown the beneficial properties of maca for treating infertility, and for enhancing physical performance, libido and sexual activity (1).
Maca is rich in nutrients and helps to increase physical endurance in athletes (5). A positive effect of maca on female fertility and spermatogenesis has also been observed (6-7), and in a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled study in which some participants were given maca for 12 weeks concluded that maca enhanced sexual desire (8). In a pilot study investigating the effect of maca on sexual desire and physical performance in athletes, an improvement was observed in both cases after 14 days of consuming maca extract (9).
Maca is also used to treat the symptoms of menopause (1). A study of postmenopausal women identified an improvement in the psychological symptoms (anxiety and depression) associated with menopause and decreased sexual dysfunction (10).
- Castaño (2008) Maca (Lepidium peruvianum Chacón): composición química y propiedades farmacológicas. Revista de Fitoterapia 8(1): 21-280.
- Gonzales (2012) Ethnobiology and ethnopharmacology of Lepidium meyenii (Maca), a plant from the peruvian highlands. Evid Based Complementary Altern Med, Vol 2012, 10 pages.
- Gonzales (2010) Maca: del alimento perdido de los incas al milagro de los andes. Estudio de seguridad alimentaria y nutricional. Segurança Alimentar Nutricional, 17 (1): 16-36.
- Gonzales et al. (2014) Maca (Lepidium meyenii Walp), una revisión sobre sus propiedades biológicas. Rev Peru Med Exp Salud Publica 31(1):100-10.
- Ruiz-Luna et al. (2005) Lepidium meyenii (Maca) increases litter size in normal adult female mice. Reprod Biol Endocrinol 3:16.
- Gonzales et al. (2003) Effect of Lepidium meyenii (Maca), a root with aphrodisiac and fertility-enhancing properties, on serum reproductive hormone levels in adult healthy men. J Endocrinol 175: 163-168.
- Gonzales et al. (2002) Effect of Lepidium meyenii (maca) on sexual desire and its absent relationship with serum testosterone levels in adult healthy men. Andrologia 34(6): 367-72.
- Stone et al. (2009) A pilot investigation into the effect of maca supplementation on physical activity and sexual desire in sportsmen. J Ethnopharmacol 126(3):574-6.
- Brooks et al. (2008) Beneficial effects of Lepidium meyenii (Maca) on psychological symptoms and measures of sexual dysfunction in postmenopausal women are not related to estrogen or androgen content. Menopause 15(6): 1157-62.
Ingredients: Organic maca powder Consulting batch information
Per daily dose: 5 g organic maca tuber powder (Lepidium meyenii Walp.).
This product does not contain allergens (in accordance with Regulation (EU) No 1169/2011) nor genetically modified organisms.
ORGANIC MACA POWDER: NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION
*1 measuring spoon
Use: Organic maca powder Consulting batch information
1 serving (5 g) per day. Mix 5 g (1 measuring spoon) of powder with water, juice, smoothies or milk.
Not recommended for pregnant or lactating women. Do not exceed the recommended daily dose.
Does not replace a varied and balanced diet and a healthy lifestyle. If you are undergoing medical treatment, seek your therapist's advice. For adult use only. Keep out of reach of young children.
Store in a cool dry place away from sunlight.
Quality: Organic maca powder Consulting batch information
FABRICATION AND GUARANTEE:
This food supplement is manufactured by a GMP-compliant laboratory (GMPs are the good manufacturing practice guidelines for the European pharmaceutical industry).
Their active principle content is guaranteed through regular tests, which can be viewed online.