Organic quinoa seeds
Rich in fibre, proteins and vitamins
POWDER Nothing But Plants®
Description: Organic quinoa seeds
Discover the exceptional properties of SUPERFOODS with the new powder range from our new brand POWDER Nothing But Plants® range!
This product range offers an innovative concept: an alternative way of consuming dietary supplements and healthier foods – in milkshakes, salads or mixed with your favourite foods.
Quinoa, or quinua (Chenopodium quinoa Willd.) has been grown for over 5,000 years and is native to the Andes. Its seeds have high nutritional value and in recent years there has been intense interest in this crop. In fact, the FAO (United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization) declared 2013 the “International Year of Quinoa”.
The benefits of quinoa seeds include their antioxidant properties and capacity to improve lipid profile.
Quinoa also has low glycemic index and provides fibre, minerals, polyunsaturated fatty acids and high quality protein rich in essential amino acids (it contains twice as much lysine as wheat or maize, for example). Add our White Royal organic quinoa seeds to your daily diet!
Quinoa (Chenopodium quinoa Willd., Amaranthaceae family) is native to the Andean plateau, originating from the area surrounding Lake Titicaca at 3800 m above sea level, on the border between Peru and Bolivia (1). It is currently grown from sea level up to 4500 m altitude in Argentina, Bolivia, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador and Peru (2).It is an herbaceous plant that can grow up to 3 m tall, depending on environmental conditions. Its seeds are between 1 and 2.6 mm in size, and can be white, yellow, red, purple, brown and black (3).
Quinoa has traditionally been used by numerous indigenous peoples of South America, such as the Quechua, Aymara, Tiahuanaco, Chibcha and Mapuche peoples (2). In addition, for centuries it was one of the staple foods in the Inca Empire (4): the Incas knew it as the “mother grain” and it was considered a gift from the gods. After the Spanish conquest, quinoa remained only in areas the Europeans could not reach to instead introduce crops such as wheat, barley and rye (5).
Interestingly, in 1993 NASA proposed quinoa as a potential CELSS (Controlled Ecological Life Support System) crop for long-duration space missions (4,6).
Quinoa is rich in fibre, proteins, minerals (calcium, magnesium, copper, zinc and iron) and vitamins (niacin, thiamine, folic acid, vitamin E and vitamin C). It also contains phenolic compounds, saponins, isoflavones, carotenoids, fatty acids (linoleic and oleic acids), betalains and glycine betaine (2, 5-7).
Its protein is high quality thanks to its high essential amino acid content (higher than in cereals), particularly lysine and methionine (5). Its carbohydrates have low glycaemic index due to their low glucose and fructose content (2).
- OUR PRODUCT
- Product Name: Organically grown White Royal quinoa
- Scientific name: Chenopodium quinoa Willd.
- Part used: Seeds
Quinoa seeds have high nutritional value and have antioxidant (5), hypolipidemic properties (lower blood lipid levels) and antidiabetic properties (2).
Quinoa seeds can be used in many recipes (in salads, with vegetables, chicken etc.). They must be washed several times in advance before preparation, to reduce their bitter taste. We recommend cooking for 15-20 minutes, before rinsing in cold water.
They are also used for making flour for biscuits and cakes, and can be added directly to soups. They are also used in breakfast cereals and to prepare a fermented drink known as chicha blanca (4).
Quinoa is rich in soluble and insoluble fibres that help regulate lipid metabolism, and can lower glucose levels after meals and promote feelings of fullness (8). Its hypolipidemic, antidiabetic and antioxidant properties have also been evaluated in several studies (2). In a study in which participants consumed quinoa in cereal bars for 30 days, a fall in total cholesterol, triglyceride and LDL cholesterol levels was observed among the study population (9).In addition to fibre, it contains flavonoids, phenolic acids, carotenoids, fatty acids and tocopherols with antioxidant properties that have been proven in vitro (7) and in vivo (10). These compounds also have anti-inflammatory properties, which together with antioxidant activity are beneficial for reducing oxidative stress related to chronic conditions such as diabetes, cardiovascular diseases and ageing (7).
- Bazile et al. (2016) worldwide evaluations of quinoa: preliminary results from post international year of quinoa FAO projects in nine countries. Front Plant Sci 7:850.
- Graf et al. (2015) Innovations in health value and functional food development of quinoa (Chenopodium quinoa Willd.). Compr Rev Food Sci Food Saf 14(4): 431–445.
- Vega-Gálvez et al. (2010) Nutrition facts and functional potential of quinoa (Chenopodium quinoa Willd.), an ancient Andean grain: a review. J Sci Food Agric 90: 2541–2547.
- Tang and Tsao (2017) Phytochemicals in quinoa and amaranth grains and their antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and potential health beneficial effects: a review. Mol Nutr Food Res. 2017 Feb 26. doi: 10.1002/mnfr.201600767.
- De Carvalho et al. (2014) Metabolic parameters of postmenopausal women after quinoa or corn flakes intake--a prospective and double-blind study. Int J Food Sci Nutr 65(3): 380-5.
- Farinazzi-Machado et al. (2012) Use of cereal bars with quinoa (Chenopodium quinoa W.) to reduce risk factors related to cardiovascular diseases. Cienc Technol Aliment Campinas 32(3):239–44.
- Pasko et al. (2010) Effect of diet supplemented with quinoa seeds on oxidative status in plasma and selected tissues of high fructose-fed rats. Plant Foods Hum Nutr 65(2): 146-51.
Ingredients: Organic quinoa seeds Consulting batch information
Organic Royal White quinoa seeds (Chenopodium quinoa Willd.).
This product does not contain allergens (in accordance with Regulation (EU) No 1169/2011) nor genetically modified organisms.
ORGANIC QUINOA SEEDS : NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION
Use: Organic quinoa seeds Consulting batch information
Quinoa seeds must be washed several times in advance before preparation, to reduce their bitter taste. We recommend cooking for 15-20 minutes, before rinsing in cold water. They can be used in many recipes (in salads, with vegetables, chicken etc.).
Store in a cool dry place away from sunlight.
Quality: Organic quinoa seeds Consulting batch information
FABRICATION AND GUARANTEE:
This food is manufactured under a GMP-compliant. GMPs are the good manufacturing practice guidelines for the European food industry.