Organic spirulina powder
POWDER Nothing But Plants®
Spirulina from organic aquaculture with high protein content
Fatighe, stress, anaemia, immune system, cancer, weight loss, recovery from illness
Buy Organic spirulina powder
62 servings / Spirulina powder 250 g
Ref. IS10 | In Stock
Made in France
Organic spirulina powder: Description
Discover the exceptional properties of SUPERFOODS with our new brand POWDER Nothing But Plants® range!
This product range offers an innovative concept: an alternative way of consuming food supplements and eating healthier foods – in shakes, salads or mixed with your favourite foods.
Spirulina (Spirulina platensis (Gomont) Geitler) is a blue-green algae that has been consumed for centuries due to its amazing nutritional properties. It contains multiple minerals and vitamins and is also very rich in proteins, which it converts into a food supplement ideal for vegetarians and vegans.
Spirulina has antioxidant and immunostimulant properties, and helps to reduce fatigue and improve physical performance. Its high vegetable protein content makes it an ideal supplement for people who want to increase their muscle mass. It also contains mucilage, which, together with proteins, generate a feeling of fullness, helping to control appetite for those on a diet.
Our TEXCOCO spirulina is produced from organic aquaculture and has been subject to stringent quality control to certify that it is free from heavy metals and complies with the microbiological criteria required by European Pharmacopoeia.
Spirulina (Spirulina platensis (Gomont) Geitler) is a cyanobacterium, or blue-green algae, with photosynthetic capacity, formed of filaments with a distinctive helical structure and which grow in alkaline waters. Its main photosynthetic pigment is phycocyanin, which is blue in colour (1).
Spirulina grows in alkaline waters in tropical and subtropical regions including Mexico, Asia and Central Africa (2).
Spirulina has been consumed in Mexico and Africa for centuries. In Aztec civilisation, spirulina growing in Lake Texcoco was harvested and dried for subsequent preparation as food (2). In Africa, members of the Kanembu tribe around Lake Chad were found to have no nutritional deficiencies, due to consumption of spirulina (1).
Spirulina is currently one of the most widely-consumed food supplements and over 3,000 tons are grown each year worldwide to meet demand (3).
Spirulina is very rich in proteins (over 50%), amino acids, essential fatty acids (-linolenic, linoleic), vitamins, minerals (selenium, potassium etc.), pigments (phycocyanins, chlorophyll, beta-carotene, sterols and mucilage (1,4).
- OUR PRODUCT
- Product Name: Spirulina algae powder (from organic aquaculture).
- Scientific name: Spirulina platensis (Gomont) Geitler.
- Part used: Whole algae.
Because of its high nutritional value, spirulina is recommended in slimming diets, during periods of intense physical activity, in cases of nutritional deficiencies, and periods of fatigue or stress (4). It is also been found to have antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, immunomodulatory and hypolipidemic (lipid-lowering) properties (2).
Mix 4 g of spirulina powder with water, juice, shakes or milk. Spirulina powder can also be sprinkled on meals and salads.
Various studies point to the health benefits of spirulina. One study identified an improvement in physical performance after ingesting spirulina for four weeks, due to its antioxidant effect (5). This effect has also been linked to preventing muscle damage during physical exercise (6). Spirulina also helps to reduce mental and physical fatigue (7).
Spirulina's anti-inflammatory, hypolipidemic and hypoglycemic properties have also been proven: it helps to lower glucose, total cholesterol and LDL (bad cholesterol) in the blood, while increasing HDL cholesterol (good cholesterol). The decrease in blood lipid concentration from consuming spirulina has been linked to an increase in the activity of lipoprotein lipase, an enzyme involved in lipid transport and metabolism (2).
Besides being rich in vitamins, proteins, minerals and amino acids, spirulina contains phycocyanin, a pigment used as a colorant but that also has proven antioxidant, immunostimulant and anti-inflammatory properties (8).
- Habib et al. (2008) A review on culture, production and use of spirulina as food for humans and feeds for domestic animals and fish. FAO Fisheries and Aquaculture Circular. No. 1034. Rome, FAO.
- Deng and Chow (2010) Hypolipidemic, antioxidant and antiinflammatory activities of microalgae Spirulina. Cardiovasc Ther 28(4): e33–e45.
- Al-Dhabi and Valan (2016) Quantification of phytochemicals from commercial spirulina products and their antioxidant activities. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med 2016: 7631864.
- Vanaclocha and Cañigueral (2003) Fitoterapia. Vademécum de prescripción. Elsevier.
- Kalafati et al. (2010) Ergogenic and antioxidant effects of spirulina supplementation in humans. Med Sci Sports Exerc 42(1): 142-51.
- Lu et al. (2006) Preventive effects of Spirulina platensis on skeletal muscle damage under exercise-induced oxidative stress. Eur J Appl Physiol 98(2): 220-6.
- Johnson et al. (2016) A randomized, double blind, placebo controlled study of spirulina supplementation on indices of mental and physical fatigue in men. Int J Food Sci Nutr 67(2): 203-6.
- Liu et al. (2016) Medical application of Spirulina platensis derived C-Phycocyanin. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2016; 2016: 7803846.
Organic spirulina powder: Composition
Per daily dose: 4 g spirulina algae powder (from organic aquaculture) (Spirulina platensis (Gomont) Geitler).
This product does not contain allergens (in accordance with Regulation (EU) No 1169/2011) nor genetically modified organisms.
FABRICATION AND GUARANTEE:
This food supplement is manufactured by a GMP-compliant laboratory (GMPs are the good manufacturing practice guidelines for the European pharmaceutical industry).
Their active principle content is guaranteed through regular tests, which can be viewed online.
Organic spirulina powder: Nutritional information
Organic spirulina powder: Use
1 serving (4 g) per day. Mix with water, juice, smoothies or milk. You can also dust spirulina powder on meals and salads.
Not recommended for pregnant or lactating women. Do not exceed the recommended daily dose.
Does not replace a varied and balanced diet and a healthy lifestyle. If you are undergoing medical treatment, seek your therapist's advice. For adult use only. Keep out of reach of young children.
Store in a cool dry place away from sunlight.