Organic brown mustard seeds
Aromatic and slightly spicy
POWDER Nothing But Plants®
Description: Organic brown mustard seeds
Discover the exceptional properties of SPICES with the new powder range from our new brand POWDER Nothing But Plants® range!
This product range offers an innovative concept: an alternative way of consuming dietary supplements and healthier foods – in milkshakes, salads or mixed with your favourite foods.
Mustard is a spice that has been consumed since ancient times. The Greeks and Romans used it to season their dishes.
There are different species of mustard used to prepare the sauce that bears its name: yellow or white mustard (Sinapis alba L.), brown or Chinese mustard (Brassica juncea (L.) Czern.) and black mustard (Brassica nigra (L.) K.Koch). They are rich in proteins and oils, and mustard sauce also contains sodium, selenium and vitamins (C and B12).
Brown mustard is more aromatic and spicy than yellow mustard. At Anastore, we recommend that you get to know this age-old spice: try our organic brown mustard seeds!
DESCRIPTION AND ORIGIN
Brown or Chinese mustard (Brassica juncea (L.) Czern.) belongs to the cruciferous family. It is an annual herbaceous plant with yellow flowers and oil-rich seeds. This species was introduced from China to northern India, and from there it spread to Afghanistan via Punjab (1).
Mustard is currently an economically important crop that is widely grown in Asia and Europe (2).
Mustard has been well known since ancient times. It was even cited in one of the parables of Jesus Christ in the New Testament. The Greeks also used mustard to season their dishes, while the Romans used it in their spiced wines (3).
In the 13th century, mustard was used in large quantities throughout Europe and it was the cities of Cremona (Italy) and Dijon (France) that devoted the most land to its cultivation. Dijon currently produces a large percentage of the world’s total mustard production (3).
The different species of mustards accumulate significant amounts of oil and proteins in their seeds (4). Mustard sauce also contains a significant amount of sodium and selenium, and is a good source of vitamins C and B12 (3).
Brown mustard contains glucosinolates, molecules that convert into isothiocyanates. These are sulphur-containing compounds that give mustard its pungent flavour (5).
USES, RECIPESThis aromatic spice is used to prepare mustard sauce or directly to season recipes. Mustard sauce is a paste made from ground mustard seeds that has a strong, pungent flavour and is yellow or yellowish brown in colour (3). It can also be used in a variety of recipes, such as the one described below.
Cucumber with cream, fennel and spices (6):Preparation time: 10 minutes
- ½ large cucumber
- ¼ fennel
- ½ lemon
- 10 cl soy cream
- ¼ teaspoon coriander
- ¼ teaspoon fennel seeds
- ¼ teaspoon organic brown mustard seeds
- ¼ teaspoon caraway seeds
- A few sprigs of dill
- Wash the cucumber, peel and cut it into thin slices. Do the same with the fennel piece, removing the green stem.
- In a mortar, mix the four spices (fennel, coriander, brown grain mustard and caraway seeds) and grind.
- In a bowl, mix the soy cream with the crushed spices and add the juice of half a lemon.
- Combine all the ingredients in a deep dish, sprinkle with the dill and fennel leaves and add a pinch of salt. The dish is now ready.
- Thomas et al. (2004). Mustard. En: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/280131369
- Chen et al. (2016) Evolution of mustard (Brassica juncea Coss) subspecies in China: evidence from the chalcone synthase gene. Genetics and Molecular Research 15 (2): gmr.15028045.
- Wanasundara (2011) Proteins of Brassicaceae oilseeds and their potential as a plant protein source. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr 51(7): 635-77.
- Cools and Terry (2018) The effect of processing on the glucosinolate profile in mustard seed. Food Chem 252: 343-348.
Ingredients: Organic brown mustard seeds Consulting batch information
Organic brown mustard seeds (Brassica juncea (L.) Czern.).
Contains mustard. Does not contain GMOs.
Use: Organic brown mustard seeds Consulting batch information
This aromatic spice is used to prepare mustard sauce or directly to season recipes.
Store in a cool dry place away from sunlight.
Quality: Organic brown mustard seeds Consulting batch information
FABRICATION AND GUARANTEE:
This food is manufactured under a GMP-compliant. GMPs are the Good Manufacturing Practice guidelines for the European food industry.