- Plant-based foods
- Organic cardamom powder
Organic cardamom powder
Soft citrus aroma and slightly spicy flavour
POWDER Nothing But Plants®
Buy Organic cardamom powder
Expiration date (End Of): 12/2023 | Ref. JC02
12,00 € (12,00 €)
Buy Organic cardamom powder
Cardamom powder 50 g
This product allows you to accumulate 12 loyalty points. = 0,72€.
Ingredients: Organic cardamom powder
Organic cardamom pods powder (Elettaria cardamomum (L.) Maton).
This product does not contain allergens (in accordance with Regulation (EU) No 1169/2011) nor genetically modified organisms.
Description: Organic cardamom powder
Discover the exceptional properties of SPICES with the new powder range from our new brand POWDER Nothing But Plants® range!
This product range offers an innovative concept: an alternative way of consuming dietary supplements and healthier foods – in milkshakes, salads or mixed with your favourite foods.
Why choose POWDER® spices?
Our quality requirements:
Organically grown spices
Controlled geographical area
Cardamom (Elettaria cardamomum (L.) Maton) has been used for thousands of years. This intense and aromatic spice has digestive, antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties (6).
Also used to freshen breath, and as a carminative (helps expel gas), cardamom relieves symptoms of dyspepsia (mild gastrointestinal spasms, slow digestion, feeling of fullness, epigastric pain).
Try our organic cardamom powder and enjoy its intense aroma and citrus notes!
Cardamom (Elettaria cardamomum (L.) Maton) belongs to the Zingiberaceae family (the ginger and turmeric family) and is native to the forests and rainforests of southern India (1) and Sri Lanka. Cardamom is grown throughout Southeast Asia and Guatemala (2).
The plant has a large, knotty rhizome, its flowers are yellowish in colour and its fruit is an oblong capsule with three compartments containing seeds (1).
Cardamom is cited in many historical Indian texts: the Charaka Samhita medical compendium (2nd Century BC-2nd Century AD), refers to this spice as an ingredient in some preparations, and in Sanskrit texts from the 4th Century BC (Arthashastra of Kautilya and Taittiriya Samhita) it is mentioned as being used as an offering during ceremonies. In around 1500, cardamom was included in the recipes of the court of the Sultan of Mandu: these recipes included rice dishes flavoured with cardamom (3).
The use of cardamom in cooking remains very popular today. It is used in baked products in Baltic and Scandinavian countries, and in Pakistani, Persian and Indian cuisine, cardamom seeds are widely used and highly valued (4). Finally, cardamom is also used to flavour chewing gum (3).
Cardamom seeds contain essential oil (2-8%), starch (20-40%) and fatty acids (1-4%) (5). Its constituents also include sterols and phenolic acids with antioxidant properties (7).
Cardamom seeds can be used in infusions (20 g per litre of water) (2), or as 1.5 g of cardamom powder per day (5).
As a spice, cardamom tends to be mainly used in pastries and oriental dishes, giving them an intense, citrus aroma. Below are two recipes in which this spice is used:
Cardamom cookies (8):
- 150 g self-raising flour (sponge flour)
- 75 g butter
- 50 g superfine brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon of ground cardamom
- 1 egg
- Combine the flour and butter until it resembles breadcrumbs. Add the sugar and ground cardamom. In a separate bowl, beat one egg and add two tablespoons of this beaten egg to the ground cardamom mixture.
- Mix all the ingredients until a smooth dough forms. Wrap the dough in cling-film and set aside in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Once the dough has cooled, stretch it out to a thickness of 0.5 cm on a floured surface (it should make around 12 biscuits). Cut into round pieces and bake for 10-15 minutes at 180ºC.
- Allow the biscuits to cool.
Cardamom chicken (9):
- 1.5kg free range chicken
- 2 onions
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 2 tablespoons of cardamom
- 25 cl of water
- 1 tablespoon of melted butter
- Cut the chicken into 8 pieces and slice the onions.
- In a pot, add the oil, onions, half the cardamom and salt. Mix well and add the chicken pieces.
- Sauté over a low heat for around ten minutes, then add the water and rest of the cardamom. Bring to the boil, simmer for 10 minutes over a high heat and cover. Reduce the heat and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Heat the butter in a pan and brown the chicken for around ten minutes. Return the chicken to the pan with the sauce. Serve.
- Berdonces i Serra JL. Gran Enciclopedia de las plantas medicinales. Madrid: Tikal Ediciones, 2002.
- Cebrián J. Diccionario de plantas medicinales. Barcelona: RBA libros S.A., 2012.
- Vanaclocha B, Cañigueral S (Eds). Fitoterapia. Vademécum de prescripción. 4ª Edición. Barcelona: Elsevier Masson, 2 003.
- Goyal et al. (2015) Protective effects of cardamom in isoproterenol-induced myocardial infarction in rats. Int J Mol Sci 16(11): 27457–27469.
- Azimi et al. (2014) Effects of cinnamon, cardamom, saffron, and ginger consumption on markers of glycemic control, lipid profile, oxidative stress, and inflammation in type 2 diabetes patients. Rev Diabet Stud 11(3-4): 258-266.
Use: Organic cardamom powder
Cardamom seeds can be used in infusions (20 g per litre of water), or as 1.5 g of cardamom powder per day. As a spice, cardamom tends to be mainly used in pastries and oriental dishes.
Store in a cool dry place away from sunlight.
Quality: Organic cardamom powder
PRODUCT NAMEOrganic cardamom powder
BOTANICAL NAMEElettaria cardamomum (L.) Maton
FABRICATION AND GUARANTEE:
This food is manufactured under a GMP-compliant. GMPs are the good manufacturing practice guidelines for the European food industry.
Organic products at Anastore are produced in accordance with Council Regulation (EU) No 2018/848 of 30 May 2018 and its subsequent amendments on organic production and the labelling of organic products, with the aim of ensuring consumer confidence and protecting consumer interests.
Certificate issue date: 2021/03/05
Questions: Organic cardamom powder
Would you like more information about our product?
Ask your question here and our team of experts will answer you as soon as possible.