MELICINAL Honey and Plant Syrup
Forest honey, propolis, elderberry, acerola, purple coneflower, pomegranate, essential oils
Forest honey syrup and medicinal plants to alleviate coughs and strengthen the immune system.
Buy MELICINAL Honey and Plant Syrup
Ref. JM15 | In Stock
Health claims accepted by the following organisations:
The German European Commission accepts the use of coneflower as a supplementary treatment for infections of the respiratory tract (colds, laryngitis, sinusitis, etc.) and of the urinary tract, and its use as a topical medication for treating chronic ulcers and unhealed skin wounds. These findings as a whole are recognised by the World Health Organisation.
Vitamin C contributes to the normal function of the immune system.
Vitamin C contributes to the reduction of tiredness and fatigue.
MELICINAL Honey and Plant Syrup: Description
As part of our MELICINAL brand Honey & Plant Syrup is a natural alternative to synthesis syrup. The action of the forest honey and of the propolis is reinforced by a selection of plants highly effective in fighting colds, soothing coughs, strengthening defences and helping to treat flu.
Used for thousands of years honey ─a treasure for good health ─, is rich in nutrients and active principles. This priceless natural product has a variety of properties beneficial to the human body: it is the best way to alleviate a sore throat or cough thanks to its soothing and anti-inflammatory properties.
Propolis have antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and antiviral properties.
Black elderberry (Sambucus nigra) increases sweating and helps expectoration, purple coneflower (Echinacea purpurea) stimulates the immune system and acerola (Malpighia glabra) provides 100% of the NRVs* of vitamin C. Pomegranate (Punica granatum) and the synergy of lemon, mint, eucalyptus and thyme essential oils also give Syrup of Honey and Plants antimicrobial and expectorant properties.
*NRVs: Nutrient Reference Values
MELICINAL Honey and Plant Syrup: Detailed information
Extreme temperatures, sharp changes in temperature, stress, the change of seasons... all these factors can affect the immune system and bring about the first cold or flu symptoms. The synergy of the natural compounds of our Honey & Plant Syrup helps to fight the most common winter illnesses (common cold, flu ...) by strengthening defences, relieving sore throats and calming coughs.
Honey has traditionally been used in many cultures for thousands of years as it possesses a multitude of beneficial properties for the organism. It possesses antibacterial activity thanks to its sugar and organic acids content (1) and anti-inflammatory and emollient properties which help to relieve sore throats and night-time coughing (2,3).
Propolis, another natural products obtained from bees, is a resin which has a high content of phenolic compounds which possess antioxidant, antibacterial and immunostimulating properties (4,5).
The berries of the black elder (Sambucus nigra) possess properties which stimulate sweating and expectoration(6), as well as an increase in the formation of white blood cells (7). Studies have also demonstrated an inhibiting effect on the replication of the flu virus (8).
The fruit of the acerola (Malpighia glabra) is very rich in vitamin C, a vitamin which contributes towards the normal functioning of the immune system and helps to reduce tiredness and fatigue.
Echinacea (Echinacea purpurea) is known for its immunostimulating properties. Different trials have demonstrated effectiveness in preventing and reducing viral colds (9) and in treating respiratory tract infections (10).
The ellagitannins of the pomegranate (Punica granatum) have an antimicrobial action which is effective for treating throat infections, coughs and fever (11).
The synergy of the different essential oils provides our Sirope Miel & Plantes with antimicrobial properties thanks to the lemon (Citrus limon) (12), eucalyptus (Eucalyptus globulus) (13), mint (Mentha x piperita) (13) and thyme (Thymus zygis) oils (14).
Finally, the combination of ingredients of Sirope Miel & Plantes makes it suitable both for calming dry coughs and productive coughs: the essential oil of eucalyptus relieves dry coughs and in turn promotes an increase in secretions in the respiratory tract, that acting as a decongestant (12), and the essential oil of thyme is an expectorant and bronchospasmolytic (15).
Ingredient name: Forest honey.
• Anti-inflammatory activity relating to stimulation of the cytokines (2).
• Antibacterial thanks to its acid compounds (16).
Ingredient name: Propolis
• Inhibits viral propagation (4).
• Antioxidant properties (4).
• Antibacterial (5).
Extract name: Dry extract of elderberries (Sambucus nigra) standardised to contain 3% anthocyanins
Part used: Berries
• Has diaphoretic properties (stimulates sweating) and improves cold and flu treatments (6).
• Consuming elderberry juice increases the formation of white blood cells, triggering immunostimulation (7).
• Anti-viral effect by inhibiting replication of the flu virus (8).
Ingredient name: Essential oil of lemon (Citrus limon)
Part used: Peel
• Antimicrobial and antifungal action (12).
Extract name: Acerola fruit dry extract (Malpighia glabra) standardised to contain 25% vitamin C
Part used: fruit
• Has high concentrations of vitamins C, vitamins A, B1 and B2; carotenoids, anthocyanins, proteins, fats, carbohydrates and minerals (17).
• Vitamin C contributes to the normal functioning of the immune system (18).
Extract name: Dry root extract of purple coneflower (Echinacea purpurea) standardised to contain 4% polyphenols
Part used: Root
• Reduces the days of the cold and co-medicated episodes with pain relievers and anti-inflammatory medicines (9).
• Inhibits viral colds and sas a preventive effect (9).
• Immunostimulating effect by increasing phagocytosis (19).
• Fights respiratory tract infections (10).
Ingredient name: Essential eucalyptus oil (Eucalyptus globulus)
Part used: Leaves
• Decongestant and cough suppressant effect (10).
• Antimicrobial (10,20).
Ingredient name: Dry pomegranate extract (Punica granatum) standardised to contain 40% ellagitannins
Part used: Fruit
• The ellagitannins have an antimicrobial action. The fruit is used for throat infections, coughs and fever (11).
• Acts as a prophylactic against calls thanks to the ellagitannins (21).
Ingredient name: Essential mint oil (Mentha x piperita)
Part used: Aerial parts
• Used as symptomatic treatment for coughs and colds (13).
• Pain reliever and antimicrobial action (13).
Ingredient name: Essential oil of red thyme (Thymus zygis)
Part used: Aerial parts
• Antimicrobial action (14).
1. Determinación de parámetros fisicoquímicos de ácidos orgánicos presentes en miel utilizando diseños computacionales.Báezz et al. (2004) Universidad Nacional del Nordeste. Comunicaciones Científicas y Tecnológicas.
2. Honey stimulates inflammatory cytokine production from monocytes. Tonks (2003) Cytokine.
3. Cough and cold remedies for the treatment of acute respiratory infections in young children. Geneva, Switzerland. WHO, 2001.
4. Functional properties of honey, propolis, and royal jelly. Viuda-Martos et al. (2008) Journal of Food Science.
5. Propolis: a wonder bees product and its pharmacological potentials. Wagh (2013). Advances in Pharmacological Sciences.
6. Gran enciclopedia de las plantas medicinales. Dr. Berdonces i Serra. Ed. Tikal.
7. Anti-influenza virus effects of elderberry juice and its fractions. Kinoshita et al. (2012) Bioscience, Biotechnology and Biochemistry.8. Inhibition of several strains of influenza virus in vitro and reduction of symptoms by an elderberry extract (Sambucus nigra L.) during an outbreak of influenza B Panama. Zakay-Rones et al. (2007) The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine.
9. Safety and efficacy profile of Echinacea purpurea to prevent common cold episodes: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Jawad et al. (2012) Evidence Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine.
10. WHO monographs on selected medicinal plants. Vol 1. World Health Organization Geneva. 1999
11. Antimicrobial ellagitannin of Punica granatum fruits. Machado et al. (2002) Journal of the Brazilian Chemical Society.
12. Relationship between volatile components of citrus fruit essential oils and antimicrobial action on Penicillium digitatum and Penicillium italicum. Caccioni et al. (1998) International Journal of Food Microbiology.
13. WHO monographs on selected medicinal plants. Vol 2. World Health Organization Geneva. 1999
14. Antimicrobial activity and chemical composition of Thymus vulgaris, Thymus zygis and Thymus hyemalis essential oils. Rota et al. (2008) Food Control.
15. Manual de Fitoterapia. Castillo-García et al. Elsevier. 2011.
16. Nature and origin of the antibacterial substances in honey. Bogdanov (1997). Lebensmittel-Wissenschaft und-Technologie.
17. Radioprotective effect of the Barbados Cherry (Malpighia glabra L.) against radiopharmaceutical Iodine-131 in Wistar rats in vivo. Düsman et al. (2014) BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine.
18. COMMISSION REGULATION (EU) No 432/2012 of 16 May 2012 establishing a list of permitted health claims made on foods, other than those referring to the reduction of disease risk and to children’s development and health.
19. Principles and practice of phytotherapy. Kerry Bone et al. (2013). ELSEVIER.
21. Pomegranate (Punica granatum) purified polyphenol extract inhibits influenza virus and has a synergistic effect with Oseltamivir. Haidari et al. (2009) Phytomedicine.
MELICINAL Honey and Plant Syrup: Composition
Ingredients per dose (15 g): 12,500 mg of forest honey, 500 mg of liquid alcoholic extract of propolis, 400 mg of dry black elderberry extract (Sambucus nigra L.) standardised to contain 3% anthocyanidins (i.e. 12 mg), Damask rose water (Rosa x damascena Mill.), lemon peel essential oil (Citrus limon (L.) Burm. f.), 320 mg of dry extract of acerola fruit (Malpighia glabra L.) standardised to contain 25% vitamin C (in the form of L-ascorbic acid) (i.e. 80 mg (100% NRVs*)), 200 mg of dry extract of purple coneflower root (Echinacea purpurea (L.) Moench) standardised to contain 4% polyphenols (i.e. 8 mg), natural pomegranate aroma, eucalyptus leaf essential oil (Eucalyptus globulus Labill.), acidity corrector: citric acid, 50 mg of dry pomegranate extract (Punica granatum L.) standardised to contain 40% ellagitannins (i.e. 20 mg), mint aerial parts essential oil (Mentha x piperita L.), thyme aerial parts essential oil (Thymus zygis L.).
*NRVs: Nutrient Reference Values.
This product does not contain allergens (in accordance with Regulation (EU) No 1169/2011) nor genetically modified organisms.
FABRICATION AND GUARANTEE:
This dietary supplement is manufactured by a GMP-compliant laboratory (GMPs are the good manufacturing practice guidelines for the European pharmaceutical industry).
Their active principle content is guaranteed through regular tests, which can be viewed online.
MELICINAL Honey and Plant Syrup: Use
1 tablespoon (7.5 g) twice a day.
Due to the high honey concentration crystallization may occur. This phenomenon does not alter the final product quality. Not recommended if pregnant or breastfeeding. Do not exceed the recommended daily dose.
Does not replace a varied and balanced diet and a healthy lifestyle. If you are undergoing medical treatment, seek your therapist's advice. For adult use only. Keep out of reach of young children.
Store in a cool dry place away from light.