MELICINAL Honey & Elderberry
Honey powder, elderberry, freeze-dried royal jelly, zinc
To fight colds and flu symptoms
Immune (anti-microbial, strengthen the body's defense).
Buy MELICINAL Honey & Elderberry
Ref. JM20 | In Stock
Made in France
Health claims accepted by the following organisations:
Zinc contributes to the normal function of the immune system.
MELICINAL Honey & Elderberry: Description
As part of our MELICINAL product range, we present HONEY AND ELDERBERRY TABLETS,a natural solution for combating colds and flu-like symptoms.
MELICINAL HONEY AND ELDERBERRY TABLETS combine the beneficial properties of elderberry (Sambucus nigra L.) and bee products (honey and royal jelly). It also contains zinc, which helps maintain a healthy immune system.
Honey and royal jelly contain multiple nutrients and their antioxidant, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties are well known. The fruit of the elderberry has been used for centuries in traditional medicine and has immunostimulant and anti-viral effects.
Our MELICINAL HONEY AND ELDERBERRY TABLETS are a combination of the best ingredients for combating colds and flu-like symptoms, relieving sore throats and boosting immune defences.
MELICINAL Honey & Elderberry: Detailed information
Extreme temperatures, sharp changes in temperature, stress, the change of seasons... all these factors can affect the immune system and bring about the first cold or flu symptoms. Our MELICINAL product range helps to fight the most common winter illnesses (common cold, flu ...) by strengthening defences, relieving sore throats and calming coughs.
Honey has been used since ancient times to alleviate many ailments. Rich in carbohydrates, honey also contains proteins, amino acids, minerals, organic acids, vitamins and polyphenols (1). Consuming honey has been found to treat throat infections and combat fatigue (2), among many other uses.
Elderberry (Sambucus nigra L.) is native to Europe, North Africa, and central and western Asia. It is a shrub that can grow up to 10 m tall, with creamy white flowers and dark purple fruits. Elderberry fruit is rich in vitamins A and C, flavonoid compounds and anthocyanosides (3). Used for centuries due to its medicinal properties, elderberry is now mainly used to treat the common cold and flu (4).
Royal jelly is a viscous secretion produced in the hypopharyngeal and mandibular glands of worker bees (5). This secretion is the exclusive food of queen bee larvae and contains minerals (mainly calcium and iron), vitamins, fatty acids, proteins and free amino acids (6). Royal jelly has numerous beneficial properties for humans: it is an antioxidant and has anti-inflammatory, immunomodulatory, antiviral and antibacterial activity (5,7).
Finally, zinc is a micronutrient essential to healthy immune function and is key to protection from infections. Zinc affects different aspects of the immune system, such as modulating specific or acquired immunity, and influences the function of cells that mediate innate non-specific or innate immunity (8).
Ingredient name: Honey powder
- Antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties (1).
- Demulcent properties that help to sooth night-time coughing and sore throats (9).
Ingredient name: Dry extract of black elderberries, standardised to contain 3% anthocyanidins
Scientific name: Sambucus nigra
Part used: Berries
- Antibacterial, anti-viral, anti-inflammatory and anti-flu properties (4,10)
- Helps to reduce the duration of colds (11).
Ingredient name: Freeze-dried royal jelly
- Antibacterial, immunomodulatory, anti-viral and anti-inflammatory properties (5,7).
- Contains phenolic compounds with antioxidant properties (7).
Ingredient name: Zinc gluconate
- Zinc helps to maintain a healthy immune system (12).
- Zinc helps to shorten the duration of colds (13-14).
1. Bogdanov et al. (2008) Honey for nutrition and health: a review. J Am Coll Nutr 27(6): 677-689.
2. Ediriweera and Premarathna (2012) Medicinal and cosmetic uses of Bee’s Honey-a review. Ayu 33(2): 178–182.
3. Berdonces JL. Gran diccionario ilustrado de las plantas medicinales descripción y aplicaciones: el libro más completo sobre fitoterapia. Barcelona: Ed. Océano, 2009.
4. Krawitz et al. (2011) Inhibitory activity of a standardized elderberry liquid extract against clinically-relevant human respiratory bacterial pathogens and influenza A and B viruses. BMC Complement Altern Med 11: 16.
5. Chen et al. (2016) In vitro anti-inflammatory effects of three fatty acids from royal jelly. Mediators Inflamm 2016: 3583684.
6. Yuksel and Akyol (2016) The consumption of propolis and royal jelly in preventing upper respiratory tract infections and as dietary supplementation in children. J Intercult Ethnopharmacol 5(3): 308-11.
7. Viuda-Martos et al. (2008) Functional properties of honey, propolis, and royal jelly. J Food Sci 73 (9): 117-124.
9. Cough and cold remedies for the treatment of acute respiratory infections in young children. Geneva, Switzerland. WHO, 2001.
10. Clapé and Castillo (2011) Caracterización fármaco-toxicológica de la planta medicinal Sambucus nigra subsp. canadensis (L). Revista Cubana de Farmacia 45(4): 586-596.
11. Tiralongo et al. (2016) Elderberry supplementation reduces cold duration and symptoms in air-travellers: a randomized, double-blind placebo-controlled clinical trial. Nutrients 8(4): 182.
12. COMMISSION REGULATION (EU) No 432/2012 of 16 May 2012 establishing a list of permitted health claims made on foods, other than those referring to the reduction of disease risk and to children’s development and health.
13. Hemilä et al. (2016) Zinc acetate lozenges for treating the common cold: an individual patient data meta-analysis. Br J Clin Pharmacol 82(5): 1393-1398.
14. Allan and Arroll (2014) Prevention and treatment of the common cold: making sense of the evidence. CMAJ 186(3): 190-9.
MELICINAL Honey & Elderberry: Composition
2 tablets contain: 2000 mg of honey powder (milk), lemon flavouring, 440 mg dry extract of elderberries (Sambucus nigra L.) standardised to contain 3% anthocyanidins (i.e. 13.2 mg), 400 mg of freeze-dried royal jelly, zinc gluconate (10 mg of zinc (100% NRVs*)), anti-caking agent: magnesium salts of fatty acids.
*NRVs: Nutrient Reference Values.
Contains milk derivatives including lactose. Does not contain GMOs.
FABRICATION AND GUARANTEE:
This dietary supplement is manufactured by a GMP-compliant laboratory (GMPs are the good manufacturing practice guidelines for the European pharmaceutical industry).
Their active principle content is guaranteed through regular tests, which can be viewed online.
MELICINAL Honey & Elderberry: Use
Suck on one lozenge twice daily.
Not recommended if pregnant or breastfeeding. Do not exceed the recommended daily dose.
Does not replace a varied and balanced diet and a healthy lifestyle. If you are undergoing medical treatment, seek your therapist's advice. For adult use only. Keep out of reach of young children.
Store in a cool dry place away from light.